Traffic management

Traffic management for events

Where it is identified that an event may interact with traffic, pedestrians, other road users or a road related area, additional information may be required.

Traffic management plan

You may need a traffic management plan if large numbers of vehicles will be entering or exiting off-road parking facilities, or you need control to direct traffic in a way that’s different from the road rules or existing signage.

This includes speed reductions for venues where vehicles and pedestrians could interact.

Traffic management plans must be prepared by an accredited traffic control provider in line with the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 and the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices. They include:

  • a traffic control permit from Council to close or alter traffic conditions on a road (refer below)
  • Legible Traffic Guidance Schemes showing the affected roadways of the event and/or sites, appropriate signage and barricading and traffic control to be installed.  Example Traffic Guidance Schemes are provided here.
  • diagrammatic details of traffic management devices to be used and in what positions
  • confirmation that each person involved in directing vehicle movements is qualified i.e. a police officer or an accredited traffic control officer (please note that the Department of Transport and Main Roads have introduced the Event Traffic Marshal Scheme for local community and sporting groups).
  • details of the road closures being sought and when they will be closed
  • details of a least one effective diversionary route for traffic affected by each road closure
  • distinctly identified emergency vehicle accesses.

If you’re unsure whether you need a traffic management plan or parking and pedestrian management plan, and what to include, contact Council’s City Infrastructure Group on (07) 3829 8999.

Traffic control permits

You need a traffic control permit from Council to:

  • close a road
  • alter traffic conditions on a road reserve
  • temporarily close car parks
  • conduct cycle events in live traffic.

Check if you need a traffic control permit by completing a short questionnaire.

For a road closure you must also:

  • apply to the Queensland Police Service
  • apply to the Department of Transport and Main Roads if the event is on a state-controlled road
  • erect road closure notification signage no less than seven days before the event
  • notify the Queensland Ambulance Service and Queensland Fire and Rescue Service in writing at least one month before the event
  • publish a public notice advising of the full road closure at least one week before the event, giving Council a copy of the advertisement before publication
  • advise any affected public transport providers (e.g. TransLink, Taxi Council Queensland) at least one month before the event
  • provide evidence of your consultation with residents and businesses affected by the road closure (e.g. letterbox drops, public meetings, personal visits) and give Council details of all objections.

To ensure safe and proper traffic flow, we suggest that you hold a pre-event meeting with everyone involved in directing vehicles. For all cycle events in live traffic, you must also have Department of Transport and Main Roads event signage.

All traffic control permit applications require you to provide Council with a copy of your certificate of currency for public liability insurance and a traffic guidance scheme and/or a traffic management plan and should be lodged at least six weeks prior to your event.

To apply for a traffic control permit or for further information, contact Council’s City Operations group on (07) 3829 8999.

Event traffic marshals

Department of Transport and Main Roads has introduced the special Event Traffic Marshal Scheme, as an alternative option for traffic control in low speed/low risk environments at sporting and community events.

The Event Traffic Marshal role will allow appropriately trained volunteers to conduct limited traffic control activities at various community events and the ability to support events in a safe way.

Car parking

As the event organiser, you must ensure there is enough parking for attendees (including disabled parking) that doesn’t interfere with the usual parking for residents and or businesses.

Parking on nature strips, areas of open space and parkland is not permitted without a Council permit.

If you believe illegal parking may be an issue at the event, we recommend using marshals to prevent parking infringements.

Parking and pedestrian management plan

You may need to submit a parking and pedestrian management plan if your event affects surrounding traffic, or pedestrians and traffic may use the same area.

On a site map and in supporting documents, the management plan should outline:

  • entry and exit points for off-street parking, and the route pedestrians are expected to take
  • the places where marshals are required to safely direct parking and pedestrians
  • where you will place temporary fencing if needed for traffic movement, or to separate vehicles and pedestrians
  • notification to surrounding road users and residents of potential traffic disruptions
  • details of escort vehicles
  • approvals from relevant agencies to run the event.

Public transport

For public transport options, contact TransLink on 13 12 30 or visit.

If your event will attract more than 5000 people per day, you need to declare it as a special event with TransLink. Depending on the scale of the event, a ‘park and ride’ service may be needed.

Make sure to communicate all transport options through your event promotion.