You must take all reasonable and practical measures to minimise environmental impacts at your event. These include:
- preventing the release of any material that may cause environmental harm to the land, water or waterways via the stormwater system
- ensuring that liquid spills are cleaned up immediately using sawdust and other absorbent materials and bagged and disposed of accordingly
- preventing the release of materials into the air such as dust, fumes and smoke.
As the event organiser, you’re responsible for supplying additional bins for rubbish generated at the event site and surrounding areas. We recommend the following minimum bin numbers for attendee use (in addition to any existing bin infrastructure):
- 1 x 240L bin per 100 attendees – if no food or drinks served or sold
- 2 x 240L bins per 100 attendees – if food or drinks served or sold
- 2 x 240L recycle bin per 100 attendees
- 1 x 3m front load skip bin for more than 1000 attendees
Minimise waste at your event by:
- providing bins that are clearly signed and strategically placed, making it easy for people to do the right thing and sort into recycling streams.
- organising a bin servicing and litter collection regime that encourages everyone to keep the site clean
- working with stallholders and food vendors to use recyclable and biodegradable packaging wherever possible.
You can also reduce waste at your event by encouraging people to use reusable water bottles rather than single-use plastic water bottles and providing Water Refill Stations that connect to a tap. Contact IndigiScapes on (07) 3829 8999 for free hire of a water refill station.